Tuesday 10 April 2012

The Blue Hair Experiment

There are many rites of passage as we grow up.  As young women, we have a cornucopia of firsts.  Our first boy/girl party without parents.  Our first date, our first kiss, first bra, first love and the list goes on.  I love being apart of all of this stuff as my friends girls grow up to fine women just like their mothers.  I will admit however, that there is a small part of me that hates every second of it.  It means they are growing up and soon the shouts of  "whoo hoo! Aunty Crystal is here" will give way to, "Hi, Mom, can I go now" I know this to be a fact as we all did the same thing even if our favorite Aunt was comming for tea.

However, watching them grow up also means being apart of embarrassing moments and catching it on film.  This is my favorite part of the whole experience.....lol.  Yes I'm evil, I plan to make collages for wedding days and sweet 16 parties, as a reminder that I am all powerful....lol  Not to mention the photos that will come out when the first date arrives at the door.  If the boy can handle the baseball bat, picture toting, tarot reading crazy Aunt, then he should be well prepared for the insane Uncles handing out death threats, as a warning incase she comes home crying. 

So on Saturday Karen and I started the blue hair experiment.  Abbey wanted to dye her hair blue, well because all her friends were doing it.  I'm in complete support of Hair Rebellion, its only hair and it grows back.  Not to mention if this is the worst she can come up with at 9, I say bring it on!  However, she is only 9 and therefore we must tread lightly.  Be supportive with some guidelines, so 8-10 wash outs and streaks instead of all over was a pretty good compromise.


I have to say that A was quite the trooper even with a cold she sat for over an hour as we pulled her very fine hair out of the little holes in the cap.  Being poked by a crochet hook is not my idea of a fun Saturday morning but she didn't complain once.  We did however, it was way more work then we figured it would be.

The end result was not as dramatic as she had hoped for but she had a big smile on her face and that is all that matters.  We will try again with another product in the future. There will be many more colours in her future and more styles then we are willing to endure, but for now her very first dye job was a success.  I say bring on the Neon Pink!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment